PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Conan - Thoughts?

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
Yankee
Survivor
Tribe: Bandicoot

Conan - Thoughts?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi everyone! I was wondering what people think of Conan Exiles. I am on the fence to buy or not to buy. I've asked a couple friends on steam what they thought and it seems mixed. Mostly what is said is that it has great potential and is fun but has issues(to be expected I think). Thanks for your time.

Yankee

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Re: Conan - Thoughts?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

I run a Conan server, and seen the game first hand, game does have potential BUT the game I believe was released prematurely as there are so many issues, first 3 days of release had saving issues... Now you may say it's beta, give it a chance, beta was designed for games close to release to sort out the hidden bugs, not release a half designed game where 1/2 your base despawns...

My recommendation give it 1-2 months before committing your time to this game.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Muddy
Dino Master
Tribe: A.E.S

Post#3 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I completely agree with Munki. I am disappointed that steam let it be sold as an 'early release', they should have a new classification named 'Way Too Early' as Conan would fit perfectly. The current game is below 60% complete in my opinion, way too early to justify it's price.
I would wait for a few months before spending your hard earned on it.

Just wanted to add that I remember when game makers would pay testers to iron out bugs, but it seems the makers of Conan are charging us to be their testers.

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm

I played 7 Days to Die back when it looked like Minecraft. Some days it had 2-3 patches to fix things.
I played Ark since release, it was very primitive with half the dinos and content. Some days it had 2-3 patches to fix things.
I download Conan. It is very primitive (in content), more so than the other two. I have only seen maybe 2 patches since release.

Buying it is a gamble, I think Muddy and Munki are spot on that it was released too early and I think it was a money grab. The developers don't seem proactive at all and it is also based on the Unreal engine same as Ark, so the world is a big hollow ball that will no doubt have significant issues in time.

I don't enjoy the game, yet I enjoyed 7D2D and Ark from the beginning, thats probably the biggest difference.

Yankee
Survivor
Tribe: Bandicoot

Post#5 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 am

I think i'll wait it out then and see what the devs do about the fixes needed.

Chill
Gatherer
Tribe: The One

Post#6 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Hey There,

Thought I'd offer my 2 cents here, as I came back to playark looking for a Conan Server :P

Yes the game has many issues, is not complete, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to play it... but I don't think you guys are being fair.

Muddy, you realize you have been and are still ironing out bugs for WC as Ark is still Early Release? It can certainly be argued that the EA format will create a better game in the long run and the EA money grab is certainly not unique to Funcom.

DattoSSS, I'm not sure which Ark you were playing, but the Ark I started with had less content than Conan has now (by content I mean npc/creature types, map depth and building options... Conan already has more crafted decorative items than Ark for example).

I can only imagine that you have very few, if any hours on Conan. Calling the world a "Big hollow ball" is either uniformed or a troll comment. At 40+ hours into my exile (and watching youtubers) I'm still finding stuff and things I had no idea about.

As for Funcom not being proactive, dunno where you get your info from but there have been 11 patches since launch, even one a day since the 2nd. They are also an MMO company of many years so they have sort of some experience behind them.

Now as what I think of the game... lol

It's an Ark clone... in the best possible way. For a start it doesn't feel as grindy (at least to me), It has that early survival game always near death thing going and feels like a Conan world (actual mythos and lore). Thralls, your enslaved/liberated humans are mostly crafting speed and base defense bonus, your character is where its at, not your tames.

They have obviously researched Ark and found the biggest annoying things about Ark (building mechanics in particular) and fixed them straight out of the gate.
For Instance, when you place walls etc, it says inner face/outer face on it, foundations are relatively clip free (can even be placed on the side of cliffs) and can be raised or lowered into/out of the ground before placing and then can be stacked on each other and they come in wedges as well...

Yes it's early, much more needs to be implemented and it has bugs, though if you like Ark crafting/building, like medieval fantasy settings, are familiar with and don't mind Early Access ( more like late alpha in old style terminology), imo give it a crack as I too agree with what many say... it's already enjoyable (for me at least) and certainly has heaps of potential.

Munki, if or when you drop a server, I'm keen.
Cheers Guys.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Post#7 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 am

Chill wrote:Munki, if or when you drop a server, I'm keen.
Cheers Guys.

you can find the server here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=474
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#8 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 am

Chill wrote:DattoSSS, I'm not sure which Ark you were playing, but the Ark I started with had less content than Conan has now (by content I mean npc/creature types, map depth and building options... Conan already has more crafted decorative items than Ark for example).

I can only imagine that you have very few, if any hours on Conan. Calling the world a "Big hollow ball" is either uniformed or a troll comment. At 40+ hours into my exile (and watching youtubers) I'm still finding stuff and things I had no idea about.

Hey mate how are you?

Yep thats the Ark I started with, perhaps I was not looking for crafted decorative items so much. Conan at the moment is just not for me, I enjoyed Ark at the beginning, it was certainly barren and has progressed a long way, but it had content added regularly where we are seeing few patches for Conan, something that concerns me.

My hollow ball comment is the structure of the world map. I don't make troll comments. The Unreal Engine provides a 'hollow ball' landscape where the map is built on top of a hollow ball. Ever wonder how peoples dinos fall through the map in Ark, yet can follow you to the ocean and pop back out? Thats the hollow ball. The landscape is built on top of the ball and unfortunately it suffers glitches. The landscape cannot be changed like in 7 days to die or Life is Feudal.

If you enjoy the game I wish you all the best. I personally think it was released far too early.

Cheers
Datto

EvilDwarf
Dino Tamer
Tribe: an Evilite

Post#9 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 am

conan is cool. dunno about the high xp rate on ur server tho munki :p
the rates seem so different to ark where upping the rate just a tiny bit in conan seems to make a huge difference

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#10 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Well I was able to "acquire" the game through means other than Steam and had no issues joining and playing on any server.

I am glad I did not pay for it I can tell you that. Conan needs at least another 12 to 18 months to be anywhere near close to how Ark was a year ago.

My advice is wait and see, the game is a cool concept but is pretty crappy considering they want $30 for it.