PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

[Closed] Wipe on ARK retail release in August?

Vote on what features or changes the server needs.
Let us know your thoughts on other topics with the polls posted here.

Would you like the PvP Cluster to be wiped on that day?

Yes
34%
No
52%
Dont Care
14%

Total votes: 29

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

[Closed] Wipe on ARK retail release in August?

Post#1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am

We know how good Wildcard are at keeping schedules, but they have indicated "8th of August" is when the game will hit retail and be finally "released".

Would you like the PvP Cluster to be wiped on that day?

Please indicate your thoughts, pros and cons....

*** UPDATE *** 23/07/2017 @ 5pm
I have had a few people concerned about the ORP2 bugs giving dinos super Melee or HP, this is unavoidable due to a bug in the mod, me replacing the dino would be useless because every time the ORP2 would be enabled it could bug the replacement or another dino, you will have to live with any ORP2 bugs.
You will either have to live with the fact there are some dinos out there bugged, and keep using ORP2.
-or-
I wipe, (everyone keeps their levels), and go back to structure protection on the weekdays, and ZERO protection on the weekends..... YOU decide.

Poll will close 1st August 2017
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

MajorSmashbox2
Fresh Spawn
Tribe:

Re: Wipe on ARK retail release in August?

Post#2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Don't really see the need to honestly. Haven't seen any evidence that duping is an issue, which seems to be what's spurring the whole "wipe at launch" thing on reddit and the steam forums. Also for those playing on Ragnarok it's not like the map will be finished for launch, it'll be another 4-6 months before the map is remotely close to finished.

Launch is a very arbitrary distinction for this game. It's not currently launch ready given it's AAA pricetag, it'll still have a ton of crappy bugs that have been there since launch when it releases. Don't really see the need to a grand reset when the whole Early Access to Retail Launch has absolutely zero correlation with the state of the game.

If there's some clutter on the maps from dead tribes Munki can admin nuke and I'm happy to scout out and report some. For those that work and have limited time to play wiping sucks. The alpha tribes and raiding trolls will be leveled and set up within a couple of days, just like every other wipe. For others this is weeks of playtime to get back to where they are.

What I would say we as a server community do at "release", is be welcoming and helpful when new players join. Let them get set up, answer there questions and most importantly don't raid their little 3x3 stone base because you're bored. It would be nice to see some more players and our behavior is going to effect that way more than a wipe will. I'm not saying go full carebear, just give them time to get established - to get invested. At that point they should be hooked, healthy server, more raiding, everybody wins.

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm

MajorSmashbox2 wrote:Don't really see the need to honestly. Haven't seen any evidence that duping is an issue, which seems to be what's spurring the whole "wipe at launch" thing on reddit and the steam forums. Also for those playing on Ragnarok it's not like the map will be finished for launch, it'll be another 4-6 months before the map is remotely close to finished.

Launch is a very arbitrary distinction for this game. It's not currently launch ready given it's AAA pricetag, it'll still have a ton of crappy bugs that have been there since launch when it releases. Don't really see the need to a grand reset when the whole Early Access to Retail Launch has absolutely zero correlation with the state of the game.

If there's some clutter on the maps from dead tribes Munki can admin nuke and I'm happy to scout out and report some. For those that work and have limited time to play wiping sucks. The alpha tribes and raiding trolls will be leveled and set up within a couple of days, just like every other wipe. For others this is weeks of playtime to get back to where they are.

What I would say we as a server community do at "release", is be welcoming and helpful when new players join. Let them get set up, answer there questions and most importantly don't raid their little 3x3 stone base because you're bored. It would be nice to see some more players and our behavior is going to effect that way more than a wipe will. I'm not saying go full carebear, just give them time to get established - to get invested. At that point they should be hooked, healthy server, more raiding, everybody wins.

I wouldn't even try to compare whats written on Reddit or steam about server wipes, official is completely different game play to unofficial.

The reason for the wipe is to bring back the excitement of building again and PVP. When an unofficial server wipes you can almost guarantee a huge surge of new players. This season has been a bit hit and miss with the amount of changes to the server rules and structure, some have been great and some have been terrible. All of the changes Munki has made were a great trial and I am sure we can mostly agree on what worked and what didn't.

You cant even call our cluster "PVP" at the moment, there is about 4/5 established tribes and the rest is just smaller tribes that come on for two weeks and then disappear.

T3aSpoon
Dino Tamer
Tribe: Bronies

Post#4 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Normally I'm all for wipes. But Im fairly busy IRL at the moment so I don't think I'd be able to put the effort in to build back up if the server wiped.

Swish
Gatherer
Tribe: Belan

Post#5 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Agree with Stick for now, given the disparity between Offical and Unofficial etc as he's noted.

Unless there was a drastic change to the ruleset which would change the "way" we play here on Playark then we're in a good position to continue as is throughout the release.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Post#6 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm

would love to hear from non-alpha tribes,
if you are small or just started, whats your thoughts?
or suggestions which may help the lil fellas?
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Gambit
Veteran
Tribe:

Post#7 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm

DrunkMunki wrote:would love to hear from non-alpha tribes,
if you are small or just started, whats your thoughts?
or suggestions which may help the lil fellas?

Not voting for a vote at this stage -

But a thing that typically WOULD help the smaller tribes would be the old two week grace period at start of wipe?

(obviously benefits everyone)?

I personally feel as if Anti-Raid could actually be nicer... so many exploits and bugs in ORP.
Anti-raid issue in my thought is no one want to sit around on there weekend off playing just to keep the base safe.
Last edited by Gambit on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asphy
Fresh Spawn
Tribe:

Post#8 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Hey there,

Just started back on your server - used to play on The Island map a year or two ago with you guys. If you just placed something catchy in the server title when it gets fully released it should bring new players. Myself i always looked for freshly wiped servers however i have joined multiple fresh wipes over the past month only to have the servers shut down due to costs, had to restart 3 to 4 times.

What appeals to me about your server is i know you have had it up and running for a long time, and that all the effort i keep putting into my base defenses and design wont be lost within 3-4 weeks. Maybe if you scheduled wipes every 3 months then that would be okay as it gives smaller tribes like myself time to build up outside of working hours and enjoy end game content.

Like i recommended before, if you put some sort of appeal in the title to bring new players in on release that might help. Just my two cents. :)

Edit: Just want to say there arent too many bases on your server to justify a wipe just yet. There is a large amount of open areas for new tribes to still build.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Post#9 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Asphy wrote:Myself i always looked for freshly wiped servers however i have joined multiple fresh wipes over the past month only to have the servers shut down due to costs, had to restart 3 to 4 times.

What appeals to me about your server is i know you have had it up and running for a long time, and that all the effort i keep putting into my base defenses and design wont be lost within 3-4 weeks.

Hey Asphy,

thanks for the feedback, your comment got me thinking...
with the amount of servers i run, 11x ARK: SE and 2x ARK: SoTF... im looking at $1,100 per month of hosting if i went with a game provider.... so wow, thats alot of $$$, glad we got a Dedicated server, thanks to everyones donations.

Also having less maps will of course increase server pop as theres less places to travel to, everyone seems to gravitate to Ragnarok, even tho its buggy and 1/2 completed, but having additional maps allows people to get dinos when there are limitations (e.g TheIsland spawns always seem to have issues).

I dont believe the retail release will get a large number of sales, but i know for a fact many people have told me they are waiting for retail to start playing due to all the bugs and patch releases.... and want a more polished version before they comit the time.

When we originally started, i was very naive with the ragnarok map, thinking it would be like the others in regards to dino levels, but some people took it upon themselves to use the bugs to get ahead (these issues were resolved peacefuly), now these people may not be malicious but others still have a sore spot because of what was done, wiping usually clears up some of that distrust because they no longer need to worry about people exploiting bugs.

But again we have a lot of space... the prob isnt with large bases, but with new tribes getting cleaned out early on they leave.

perhaps i should introduce structure protection for the weekdays again! (again more work for me, yay!) and maybe 20x ORP2 on the weekends, maybe instead on 12am start, maybe 5am start on Saturday then finish at maybe 11pm on sunday ... suggestions?

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Post#10 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Stick wrote:The reason for the wipe is to bring back the excitement of building again and PVP. When an unofficial server wipes you can almost guarantee a huge surge of new players.

Agreed ^ but I've also been thinking about the following points worth considering:
MajorSmashbox2 wrote:The alpha tribes and raiding trolls will be leveled and set up within a couple of days, just like every other wipe. For others this is weeks of playtime to get back to where they are.

I can see some of the newer players possibly being put off if their hard work is wiped after only just getting familiar to Munki's servers in the last month or two, especially if they know/see alpha neighbours achieving what took them weeks in only a few days.
Without changing our play style or cultivating newer players, I can see them getting lost again and the cycle repeating itself in the sense that the cluster will be popular in the first couple of weeks of wipe, then die off again.
Asphy wrote:What appeals to me about your server is i know you have had it up and running for a long time, and that all the effort i keep putting into my base defenses and design wont be lost within 3-4 weeks. Maybe if you scheduled wipes every 3 months then that would be okay as it gives smaller tribes like myself time to build up outside of working hours and enjoy end game content.

Asphy wrote:Myself i always looked for freshly wiped servers however i have joined multiple fresh wipes over the past month only to have the servers shut down due to costs, had to restart 3 to 4 times.

Agreed. If the server looks ‘safe’ to invest in, with a healthy pvp community, players are more likely to stick around. Player's aren't keen to invest in servers where it’s unsure if they’ll still be running in a week or two. The longstanding nature of playark.com.au has definite appeal.
Asphy wrote:If you just placed something catchy in the server title when it gets fully released it should bring new players.

The idea of just changing the title to something 'catchy' is also a good idea if the decision is made NOT to wipe. (It also may not work, but I can be optimistic). Hopefully, it will attract new players anyway, and advertise that the cluster is active, welcoming to newer members, and includes alphas that will allow the little guys to build up and enjoy the game.
Gambit wrote:But a thing that typically WOULD help the smaller tribes would be the old two week grace period at start of wipe? (obviously benefits everyone)?

Regardless of whether the server wipes or doesn’t, I feel like this would need to happen regardless. We can’t control any new experienced players coming in and smashing the little guys around, but current members of the alpha community can. If the server wipes, I feel there needs to be a grace period (obviously this is different if you are outright attacked and wish retaliation/defend yourself), and if the server doesn't wipe, and Munki instead decides to 'spruce up' the title of the cluster to try and attract new players on wipe, then I feel a grace period is also warranted to try and hold onto the newer players and hope that they get hooked and stick around.