PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

[Closed] Wipe on ARK retail release in August?

Vote on what features or changes the server needs.
Let us know your thoughts on other topics with the polls posted here.

Would you like the PvP Cluster to be wiped on that day?

Yes
34%
No
52%
Dont Care
14%

Total votes: 29

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Re: Wipe on ARK retail release in August?

Post#11 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:06 pm

DrunkMunki wrote:... the prob isnt with large bases, but with new tribes getting cleaned out early on they leave.

perhaps i should introduce structure protection for the weekdays again! (again more work for me, yay!) and maybe 20x ORP2 on the weekends, maybe instead on 12am start, maybe 5am start on Saturday then finish at maybe 11pm on sunday ... suggestions?

Seems you posted this as I was writing out my essay of a post before :lol:

I think that if the current play style doesn't change and we see a similar pattern of smaller tribes being 'cleaned out' of people killing other tribes' dinos 'just because they can' (they find a dino on neutral/attack my target and punch it just to check/get an excuse) then we might have to go back to the similar weekday protection and have raiding on weekends. Otherwise the cycle may just continue of population booming on wipe then crashing after a few weeks as the smaller tribes move on and not bother.

Strimp
Survivor
Tribe: Goons

Post#12 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:48 pm

At this point in the servers life I would vote to not wipe the server because there is heaps of fun to still be had. But in saying that the server has been up for a few months so it is only a matter of time until the wipe is due to happen. If the server dose not wipe then maybe promulgate the date for which the wipe will happen so that people can plan accordingly.

As for protecting the newer players I am not sure if this idea is possible but I figured I would throw it out all the same. Tie the amount of protection to the number of blocks and dinos people have on the server. I.E the new players with nothing should have the max protection where as the built up people don't need as much protection. For how this to be done I am not sure If it can be used as a part of ORP.

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Post#13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Strimp wrote:As for protecting the newer players I am not sure if this idea is possible but I figured I would throw it out all the same. Tie the amount of protection to the number of blocks and dinos people have on the server. I.E the new players with nothing should have the max protection where as the built up people don't need as much protection. For how this to be done I am not sure If it can be used as a part of ORP.

I think it would just come down to common sense from the more experienced players, no need to over complicate it. Also no need to make it a 'rule'. Just use common sense and your own discretion as we all know what the results will be if any of us don't, and decide to hit a developing tribe regardless.

Strimp
Survivor
Tribe: Goons

Post#14 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 pm

If there was no need for a rule or for something to change then this point would not be getting discussed. Common sense is not so common any more.

Crash
Survivor
Tribe: [Blackwatch]

Post#15 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Would it be possible to make an "off-limits" rule for new players? Similar to how herbi used to work, but just a generalised global rule.

It would have to be monitored by admin, unfortunately giving Munki yet another thing to have to keep track of (maybe a tag in their tribe name?), but if new players/tribes were given a 2 or even 3 week "off-limits" protection rule where no other tribe on the server/s can touch them it might mean they're likely to stick around. They have plenty of time to build up before others are allowed to hit them and to be completely fair, if they're not prepared to defend against a raid within 2-3 weeks maybe pvp really isn't for them. As someone else said (Stick I think?) a lot of unofficial servers wipe within a month or two, they have PLENTY of time.

The 50% and passives rules means they should well and truly be able to rebuild if they're hit and likewise has given them more then enough time to acquire dinos and gear to raid others themselves.

The exception to this rule would be if the new tribe initiated hostile contact with another tribe first, which would mean the defending tribe would be allowed to retaliate appropriately (if they're getting attacked away from base then killing the attacker and their dino/friends is appropriate for example). Alternatively, the "off-limits" rules breaks either after 2/3 weeks or after they initiate hostile contact; whatever's first.

People break rules and new players to the server don't necessarily bother to come here to the forums and read the rules and it would probably be very difficult to monitor (and a time waster) but... it's an idea.

Alternatively, bringing back the 'no repetitive raiding / griefing' rule might also be a solution (at least for larger tribes), where once a tribe has initiated a raid on a base they can not return to raid a second time for # weeks.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Post#16 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Crash wrote:Would it be possible to make an "off-limits" rule for new players? Similar to how herbi used to work, but just a generalised global rule.

It would have to be monitored by admin, unfortunately giving Munki yet another thing to have to keep track of (maybe a tag in their tribe name?), but if new players/tribes were given a 2 or even 3 week "off-limits" protection rule where no other tribe on the server/s can touch them it might mean they're likely to stick around. They have plenty of time to build up before others are allowed to hit them and to be completely fair, if they're not prepared to defend against a raid within 2-3 weeks maybe pvp really isn't for them. As someone else said (Stick I think?) a lot of unofficial servers wipe within a month or two, they have PLENTY of time.

Alternatively, bringing back the 'no repetitive raiding / griefing' rule might also be a solution (at least for larger tribes), where once a tribe has initiated a raid on a base they can not return to raid a second time for # weeks.

im not going to add more rules, they are unenforcable, and a lot of people use them to try and "get back" at alphas cause they complain about every storage box or pipe destroyed.

a designated area with limits would be the only way, like herbi island, and limited to a certain level, once they reach that level they are kicked out into the real world... but again, this is a grey area because then tribes can designate (or use alt accounts) to have a low level player on that location to hide all their loot.

What we need are Alpha tribes becoming more caretaker roles, helping out the new tribes to level and tame (not just give gear, but show and help make it...) once they reach a certain level, e.g base is some what defendable, the alphas inform them they are no longer being helped.. step away... give them a little room, then participate in pvp/raiding of that new tribe ...
This shows its not personal, you have given a tribe the means to defend and to participate in pvp...
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#17 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 am

DrunkMunki wrote:
What we need are Alpha tribes becoming more caretaker roles, helping out the new tribes to level and tame (not just give gear, but show and help make it...)

Problem with this approach is that you help people out and they want more and more and then even more, they end up wanting you to play the game for them. The people that legitimately need that much help will likely never even end up being a target for the legit alphas that aren't interested in blowing into stone bases anyway.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#18 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 am

DrunkMunki wrote:
Crash wrote:Would it be possible to make an "off-limits" rule for new players? Similar to how herbi used to work, but just a generalised global rule.

im not going to add more rules, they are unenforcable, and a lot of people use them to try and "get back" at alphas cause they complain about every storage box or pipe destroyed.

a designated area with limits would be the only way, like herbi island, and limited to a certain level, once they reach that level they are kicked out into the real world... but again, this is a grey area because then tribes can designate (or use alt accounts) to have a low level player on that location to hide all their loot.

What we need are Alpha tribes becoming more caretaker roles, helping out the new tribes to level and tame (not just give gear, but show and help make it...) once they reach a certain level, e.g base is some what defendable, the alphas inform them they are no longer being helped.. step away... give them a little room, then participate in pvp/raiding of that new tribe ...
This shows its not personal, you have given a tribe the means to defend and to participate in pvp...

I honesty think builder has the right answer with a map attached to the cluster with no base damage.

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#19 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
DrunkMunki wrote:
What we need are Alpha tribes becoming more caretaker roles, helping out the new tribes to level and tame (not just give gear, but show and help make it...)

Problem with this approach is that you help people out and they want more and more and then even more, they end up wanting you to play the game for them. The people that legitimately need that much help will likely never even end up being a target for the legit alphas that aren't interested in blowing into stone bases anyway.

I too agree with this, I have helped numerous new tribes do all sorts of things. Then you see the chat box up saying STICK STICK HELP!!!. Only to find them asking for something well above their level.

You give em an inch.......

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#20 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Stick wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
DrunkMunki wrote:

I too agree with this, I have helped numerous new tribes do all sorts of things. Then you see the chat box up saying STICK STICK HELP!!!. Only to find them asking for something well above their level.

You give em an inch.......

After seeing all the comments between all of the threads I think im going to take a massive break from the servers when the next wipe comes. From what I have gathered, tribes are not interested in PVP. Im tired of trying to make this happen only for players I have previously PVP'd with to whinge about the encounter as it did not go their way or meet their expectations. I am yet to see any tribes try and get revenge in the last 12 months, its quite sad.

Admittedly, I too have been in the situation of being a new player on an established server, the players knew I was an alpha player on another map and they continually raided me. I was raided 6 times in 2 weeks. I played solo at the time and was completely wiped by players cheating and dropping wilds into my base. I decided to keep building and using every tactic to keep my building gear safe. Eventually I was able to build a base and get revenge on all 4 tribes that wanted me off the server.

I cant change the way that people feel when they are raided, but I can tell you that revenge is sweet and is absolutely doable.

I think the issue is that a lot of playark players are time poor, which results in players only agreeing to PVP if it benefits them in some way, and if it doesn't......they leave or write salty comments about their encounter.