PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

[Resolved] Server being shutdown due to network issues

Pay attention to this space; this is where server updates, notifications and scheduled downtime are posted.
DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

[Resolved] Server being shutdown due to network issues

Post#1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:52 pm

I have made the decision, due to the server having network issues and constantly affecting game play, the server will be shutdown immediately until this issue is resolved.

I understand I will lose quite a few of you but at this stage I can't do anything but preserve what you have done.

I will send out an email (make sure you are registered in this forum) and update this post one I have more info.

I have given my provider until Friday to fix this issue otherwise I will be moving to a more stable vendor.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Re: Server being shutdown due to network issues

Post#2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What caused the issue?
A. I was originally hosted with Dedicated Servers Australia, they were bought by Servers Australia and merged infrastructure, at some point between then my servers network speed was affected, it should have been 100Mbit download and 100Mbit upload, but when i checked the internet speeds were 100Mbit download and 10Mbit upload, this upload speed is whats causing significant lag, the more people on the server, the more it needs to "upload" data to each of you.
During the investigation of the network issue my servers network suffered even more, going to 1Mbit download and 0.8Mbit upload, this happened on 8/11 and causing everyone to quit the server, at this stage i decided to shut it down.

Q. When will the server be up?
A. I have given the current company i use to host the server until Friday to address the issue, if they fail to provide an adequate solution i will have to move.

Q. Will there be a temporary solution until you get your hardware?
A. Yes, i will pay for a virtual server with 100 slots until i get my hardware up, and move the data to there.

Q. If you move how long will it take?
A. I have a DC in Sydney im looking at called "Exigent" which can host my hardware on Gigabit speeds, but this will take a few weeks (month at most) to get setup because the server i want costs $2k (2x 3.4Ghz CPU, 96GB ram...) then on top of that i need some SSD's and then need to setup and configure and test.

Q. If you move will we need to start again?
A. no, i will move the save file from the old server to the new one, if this doesn't bring back a majority of people then i will do a wipe and hope it bring back others.

Q. Why move to a Sydney DC? cant you just rent another server elsewhere?
A. I could but that's a short term solution, i like to plan ahead and purchasing this hardware which i will own, allows me to easily upgrade, much cheaper to run, and will allow a lot more servers, so more games, plus if there is a hardware issue i can easily go onsite to fix it, rather then hire a tech in the DC to do it at like $180/hr

Q. Is there anything i can do to help?
A. if you can donate to help speed up the purchase of the hardware that would be great, otherwise just keep checking this topic for updates, just be patient and hopefully this will be out only hiccup in becoming a big community.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Re: [Resolved] Server being shutdown due to network issues

Post#3 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:30 am

Hey Guys/Gals,
As i am all for transparency, the issue appears to be from me installing a network load balancer on the server, this somehow was messing up with the bandwidth, once removed everything was back to normal.
I accept responsibility for my mistake here and hoep you guys can forgive me and start playing ark again :)