PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Explanation of Lag

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Explanation of Lag

Post#1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:20 pm

As we have had MANY people complain about lag and rubber banding, let me explain whats happening;
This game is an Alpha game, everytime the devs release a patch or update it decreases optimisation, this decrease produces rendering lag, expecially "temporary" events.

On top of that, the server needs to keep track of every player on the server in real time, the more people connected the more rubber banding there will be because each players ping would affect their position (server needs to calculate position of every player and show that to every player on the server so they can interact), if they were moving fast on a bird this woud also need to be compensated ... at this stage the netcode controlling this is basic and not optimised.

And then it comes to your connection, many who experience lag are from Telstra, some from iiNet ... so i believe its also you connection which increases and contributes your lag and rubber banding and also your distance from the server.
Then we have ingame VoIP that also needs to be transferred to bother players ....

I have also found if the server connection gets above 1 Mbit lag starts to get produced, i am going to follow up with the company i rent the dedicated server with to see what can be done... please be aware i am slowly saving up to buy my own hardware so i can better control the environment.

taskmanager.PNG
taskmanager.PNG (23.15 KiB) Viewed 10429 times

Many believe its the server causing issues, below is the monitoring of the server, anyone who has any technical knowledge on optimising anything the server, i would love to hear from you.

Network_throughput.PNG
Network_throughput.PNG (59.27 KiB) Viewed 10429 times

Network.PNG
Network.PNG (45.97 KiB) Viewed 10429 times

SSD.PNG
SSD.PNG (76.08 KiB) Viewed 10429 times

CPU.png
CPU.png (265.04 KiB) Viewed 10429 times
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

theFrog
Survivor
Tribe:

Re: Explanation of Lag

Post#2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Munki,

It looks like this is a virtual guest. Are you able to confirm the contention of other guests on the host with you provider. Perhaps the host in struggling.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Post#3 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:42 am

theFrog wrote:Hi Munki,

It looks like this is a virtual guest. Are you able to confirm the contention of other guests on the host with you provider. Perhaps the host in struggling.

Its a dedicated server i own, no other users share this with me, i use a virtual machine because its easier to manage if there are issues (e.g cannot access NIC, OS crashes) there is 1 other VM which is running linux for a website, hardly uses any resources...
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

jacko
Fresh Spawn
Tribe: The Dodo Birds

Post#4 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:09 pm

I just jumped on to 4 unofficial servers to compare. 2 of them were running 70 - 90 players, not based near my current location, and I had no issues other than ping of around 170 - 220. Official servers also seem to be handling the patch ok. What is going on with ours?!

MarineWolf
Gatherer
Tribe: Suicide 3

Post#5 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:16 pm

jacko wrote:I just jumped on to 4 unofficial servers to compare. 2 of them were running 70 - 90 players, not based near my current location, and I had no issues other than ping of around 170 - 220. Official servers also seem to be handling the patch ok. What is going on with ours?!

read this viewtopic.php?f=29&t=396

jacko
Fresh Spawn
Tribe: The Dodo Birds

Post#6 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:30 pm

I did. I was more referencing the fact that Munki said the fact this game is in Alpha, blah blah blah = server lag.

If that's the case, why don't other servers have the same issues.

Having read the post again, he mentioned that upload is 10mbs instead of 100mbs. Is this the root of the problem? Hope his server provider can sort this shit out ASAP.

theFrog
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#7 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Munki,

Just wanted to confirm, assume you are using VMware Workstation (correct me if I am wrong), and if so, what version?

Just a thought, have you tried running the server on the base OS. I believe the network latency could be caused in part by the VMware layer, only mildly, but still something to look at?

Let me know if you could.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin

Post#8 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Just wanted to confirm, assume you are using VMware Workstation (correct me if I am wrong), and if so, what version?

im using VMware VSphere, using an ESXi 6.0 server .. i believe the limitation is the network card on the current server.
I have just received the new server i bought and will go over it and set it up prior to migrating .. so if you can tough it out for a couple of weeks (need to save up for SSD's) then we shall see how it goes.

so this is the new server;
Dell PowerEdge R610
CPU: 2x 3.47 Ghz
Ram: 96GB
HDD: 4x 146GB SAS Drives (to be replaced with 2-3 SSD's)
Network: 4 port 1Gbps Ethernet

Currently waiting for $$$ to buy SSD's

hardware.jpg
hardware.jpg (187.71 KiB) Viewed 10211 times

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:54 am

DrunkMunki wrote:

im using VMware VSphere, using an ESXi 6.0 server .. i believe the limitation is the network card on the current server.
I have just received the new server i bought and will go over it and set it up prior to migrating .. so if you can tough it out for a couple of weeks (need to save up for SSD's) then we shall see how it goes.

so this is the new server;
Dell PowerEdge R610
CPU: 2x 3.47 Ghz
Ram: 96GB
HDD: 4x 146GB SAS Drives (to be replaced with 2-3 SSD's)
Network: 4 port 1Gbps Ethernet

Currently waiting for $$$ to buy SSD's

hardware.jpg

Impressive!

Jman
Gatherer
Tribe: RAIDERS

Post#10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:30 pm

what is the cost of the SSDs Munki?