PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Tribes selfishly taming to many dinos causing lag

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Tribes selfishly taming to many dinos causing lag

Post#1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/di ... 061220600/

And I quote TheRightHand. The only person I would consider a legit source on this issue.

"Caps are unfortunately necessary, not for balance issues, but for two major reasons:

1) New players joining existing servers should not be told "go elsewhere" or "too bad server is full", that is a bad experience and one we don't want people to have to face.

2)Outrageously huge collections of dinos all in one spot, despite us doing a HUGE amount to make these costs less on the server, are the #1 source of poor server performance and lag, bar none. Literally without exception, they are the most expensive thing server-side, and there are almost no ways left for us to make that less expensive, not that we're not still trying.
#2 is reason enough alone for us to have to do this, but there are other minor reasons that, along with these two major reasons, make tame caps necessary.

Private servers are as always free to set these values to whatever they want or turn them off, at the cost of performance. We're currently running most of our servers on 6770ks which have been overclocked, or 4790ks, which are also overclocked. Both to 4+GHz (Individual thread performance is more important than number of cores for the ARK Server.)

We spend an ♥♥♥ TON on our servers. Yes. An ♥♥♥ ton. A -metric- ♥♥♥ ton. You can't get much better than them.

- The Right Hand"

So having read this and trying to play on the server of late it has come to the point where this needs to be enforced. It is impossible to play, tame, fly, ride, swim, do anything with massive pings spikes every few minutes that often cause a host timeout DC. Now I was on the center map as one of the very first players alone for ages. It was so smooth. In fact the server didn't do much "lag" at all until recently since it has become popular.

Put simply some tribes have obscene amounts of dinos that are just not needed in anyway. These same tribes are also indifferent to the lag they cause and the degradation of gameplay for everyone. It's is very selfish in my eyes and when confronted with this in game they will almost always abuse you.

I suggest we impose a dino limit of our own at 200 firm. Officials have a 400 limit but they still lag like shit and I would never play on an AU official due to the horrendous lag worse than we have. So it needs to be less than the official limit.

There will be every argument in the world against this but;
-you can egg farm up enough egg for kib from several species at once then kill off for room for other species, lets face it how much anklyo kibble do you need?
-MUTTON!!!!!! does away with 40% or more needed eggs with our taming speeds and rates
-200 even if only 50 where utility mounts and breed stocks for high end dinos leaves 150 other slots for egg making, more enough for any tribe

Please munki, this is supposed to be a PVP server and people playing it like pokemon and never doing any pvp with players let alone their dinos is ruining it for us all. I can't try to PVP anyone with 200+ pings.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Re: Tribes selfishly taming to many dinos causing lag

Post#2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:40 pm

currently not possible until next patch is released

Upcoming Version: v255, ETA: February 25
- Added option for per-Tribe Dino Tame limit, enabling on Official PvE servers with a max of 400 Dinos Per Tribe (with on-screen indicator of Tribe Dino count)

so what are peoples suggestions, i agree, we cant have tribes with 30+ rexes, quetzels, gigas.... wyverns...dodo's... kindas pointless, you need to be selective, if it dies then you tame/breed more.
The issue is limitation, what should it be?

discuss!

200_s.gif
200_s.gif (27.01 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#3 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:31 pm

DrunkMunki wrote:so what are peoples suggestions, i agree, we cant have tribes with 30+ rexes, quetzels, gigas.... wyverns...dodo's... kindas pointless, you need to be selective, if it dies then you tame/breed more.

This is extremely flawed logic. We have 22 gigas 20 of which were raised by us. The only reason we have that many is because of the valentines event, normal breeding times of them is 60 hours with an imprint every 2-3 hours. We did so many so that we wouldn't have to do any more unless the server wipes. Simply breeding some more if it dies isn't an easy thing to do. Quetzs are 30 hours each under normal time. Personally we don't mess around with useless dinos so while we have a lot of the big ones our dino count in total isn't like many of the tribes who have silly amounts of small dinos.

If you want more pvp evidently you will need to up taming and breeding times. I've played on quite a few different servers now and high dino raising rate/taming rate always leads to more pvp.

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Personally Kiff I think branding people selfish, simply because they are playing the way they want to play, is harsh and in many ways controlling. In a sandbox game all people have the right to play how they want to play unless restrictions are applied by the devs.

I have been part of this game a very long time, and the official servers lagged and rubber banded terribly right back before breeding was introduced. In fact I can remember rubberbanding all the way across a river once in the first week of play, leaving a gate on the base open which I had just clicked on, allowing dilos to go in and kill everything. Its a sync issue with the servers, as the clicks are registered immediately.

I do think a cap of 400 is ok, in fact 200 as you suggested is fine, as we have reduced tribe numbers. My old tribe (Just wait'n for a mate) on official 435 had over 30 members at one stage. These people joined and brought their ankylos, doeds, pteras, sabers so you can imagine the crazy numbers of dinos on the officials in a 50 strong alpha. Realistically it simply doesn't apply to us as 200 dinos is still over 20 dinos per person in an 8 person tribe.

I sincerely doubt it will have any effect on lag or rubber banding on our servers.

As for "1) New players joining existing servers should not be told "go elsewhere" or "too bad server is full", that is a bad experience and one we don't want people to have to face." this is an absolute crock and I am disappointed it came from the Right Hand as I carried him pretty highly. The officials have been devastated and over run by alphas and zergs and if you started on an official today you will not be able to access any drops, any obelisks or survive a single night as the alphas/zergs clean sweep the servers daily. It has nothing to do with dino numbers and lag, its the cross ark transfers that allow these mega tribes to wipe servers and block out newcomers. I have seen it first hand.

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Post#5 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:09 pm

DattoSSS wrote:...I do think a cap of 400 is ok, in fact 200 as you suggested is fine...

I also agree with this. Not many tribes will hit anywhere near these numbers either as it is so wouldn't really be much of a restriction, even with a full tribe of 6 on Munki's server.

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#6 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

The Center is extremely laggy Datto hence the reason this thread has started. I have not experienced it being this bad for the last year playing on Munkis servers.

There is one tribe in particular which has a huge Dino set. When one of them logs in you literally have to wait 30 seconds for the lag to disappear. This happens quite often.

I think 200 is a stretch, if tribes kept their dino count down to 150 then I think it would add some nice complexity to the game. Whilst I agree that everyone should have the right to play however they want, it shouldn't be done at the expense of others game play.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor

Post#7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Stick wrote:The Center is extremely laggy Datto hence the reason this thread has started. I have not experienced it being this bad for the last year playing on Munkis servers.

There is one tribe in particular which has a huge Dino set. When one of them logs in you literally have to wait 30 seconds for the lag to disappear. This happens quite often.

I think 200 is a stretch, if tribes kept their dino count down to 150 then I think it would add some nice complexity to the game. Whilst I agree that everyone should have the right to play however they want, it shouldn't be done at the expense of others game play.

I was going to say as low as 100 but I feared the comments that would follow.

150 seems perfectly fair and reasonable compromise to me.

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#8 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm

One way that would easily remove the need for countless dinos would be the kibble table. You buy kibble for raw metal.

Silversage
Dino Tamer
Tribe: House Stark

Post#9 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:31 pm

100-150 imo, Does anyone even have 100+ dino?

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor

Post#10 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Silversage wrote:100-150 imo, Does anyone even have 100+ dino?

yes several tribes would be over the 100 mark.

150 is starting to seem like the fair number.