PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Offline Raid Protection vs ORP2.

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
Tycus
Survivor
Tribe:

Offline Raid Protection vs ORP2.

Post#1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 am

Hey All,

Just throwing in my 2 cents about the change to ORP2 rather than using Offline raid protection. Part of the reason I joined this particular cluster of servers was for the offline raid protection. Since changing to ORP2, been raided repeatedly while offline, resulting in having to start resource gathering again from the ground up.

Queue rhetoric of "if you don't want to be raided, don't play on a PvP server".

My issue is that the ORP2 approach to offline base protection results in those with hours to spend chipping away at a base health being able to raid those don't have the opportunity to defend themselves (outside of automated defenses). This means that without a certain level of automated defenses, your base becomes subject to ongoing raids due to never being able to accumulate enough resources to establish suitable defenses in the first place. At least when it was weekday protection, and PvP during the weekend i'd have adequate opportunity to defend my tribe. When tribes are just waiting for other tribes to go offline before raiding them, that is not PvP, that is PvUb (Player vs Unconscious bodies).

Unfortunately this change to ORP2 is enough to drive me away from this server cluster (thanks again for the PvUb Dothraki). I love everything else about the server management, but regrettably this is a deal breaker for someone who has a life and doesn't want to restart harvesting resources from scratch every week.

Thanks for all your hard work Munki, the thriving community is testament to your excellent administration and I'm sorry to be leaving, it's a shame when bad apples spoil the barrel. If this approach to offline protection reverts or is improved, i'll likely be back.

Love to hear others opinions on this change.

Tycus

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Re: Offline Raid Protection vs ORP2.

Post#2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am

Come to the whitelisted server mate, I used to think I liked PvP but in reality as a casual player it was too much of a time waster. The whitelisted server has full structure protection but PvP is allowed between characters and dinos.

The whitelisted server runs brilliantly, has a great community and as it is currently low population there are heaps of places to build. It's also clustered with all 4 maps! The $5 a month is affordable (I pay more than that every day for a coffee) and it guarantees no griefers or exploiters.

I can't recommend it highly enough, it will never wipe so you can take your time and actually get some sleep before you go to work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Its unfortunate that you have been raided on multiple occasions by a larger tribe, generally smaller bases wont be touched by larger tribes unless there is reason.

The tribe you are referring to have continually raided small bases since I have played here (over a year), this is their playing strategy/style. They are not equipped or skilled to handle online raids of larger tribes. I wouldn't take it personally.

You could either change the cluster you play on or go to the whitelisted server. This would allow you ample time to build and have a proper defence system in place.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Tycus wrote:Hey All,

Just throwing in my 2 cents about the change to ORP2 rather than using Offline raid protection. Part of the reason I joined this particular cluster of servers was for the offline raid protection. Since changing to ORP2, been raided repeatedly while offline, resulting in having to start resource gathering again from the ground up.

Queue rhetoric of "if you don't want to be raided, don't play on a PvP server".

My issue is that the ORP2 approach to offline base protection results in those with hours to spend chipping away at a base health being able to raid those don't have the opportunity to defend themselves (outside of automated defenses). This means that without a certain level of automated defenses, your base becomes subject to ongoing raids due to never being able to accumulate enough resources to establish suitable defenses in the first place. At least when it was weekday protection, and PvP during the weekend i'd have adequate opportunity to defend my tribe. When tribes are just waiting for other tribes to go offline before raiding them, that is not PvP, that is PvUb (Player vs Unconscious bodies).

Unfortunately this change to ORP2 is enough to drive me away from this server cluster (thanks again for the PvUb Dothraki). I love everything else about the server management, but regrettably this is a deal breaker for someone who has a life and doesn't want to restart harvesting resources from scratch every week.

Thanks for all your hard work Munki, the thriving community is testament to your excellent administration and I'm sorry to be leaving, it's a shame when bad apples spoil the barrel. If this approach to offline protection reverts or is improved, i'll likely be back.

Love to hear others opinions on this change.

Tycus

This +1000

I was of this opinion before we wiped and I was more or less shouted down for expressing it.

I have joined the white list due to not liking the setup. Now on the PVP servers all you need do is upset the wrong person and have them hold a grudge against you and every time you log in you will get raided and suffer BS. At least before I could mitigate the damage done by the bi-weekly raids (that where guaranteed to come BTW and it would be the same people that you face coping shit from every time you are online now). I could hide my shit off base, under the sea, in caves or whatever and repair the minuscule damage I incurred and the easily replace the token shit I'd leave for them. But these people never thought of looking for the good stuff that was often hidden in plain sight. They simple want to smash your base up. That is the fun for them. Now they can do it to you every time you are online.

ORP2 does nothing but frustrate the situation.

Already the server numbers are dropping like flies. Won't be long before 1 or 2 alphas own the PVP cluster and hit everyone online until they more or less leave.

I loved what we used to have, it was a challenge too great for the simple thinking alpha babies. FIND the good gear, not just assume its going to be behind paper thin walls waiting for you.

Munki seems to think the rules where to much to enforce and I tend to agree. For one man maybe. But I also believe we have many suitable mods in our community already that could have helped in that respect. But alas we will probably never get the chance to prove it could work.

Right now 1 man tribes simply have no place on the PVP cluster, your shit will get fucked and there's not a lot you can do about it bar more hiding you shit off base. But without the "free" no base damage time this becomes much harder.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Cheers

Gambit
Veteran
Tribe:

Post#5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:41 am

To be fair, ORP is bugged and you'll find that not every structure get's ORP health;

It's not a matter of raiding you when you log off. it's a matter of raiding people when i find the bases. I don't go out of my way to hit you, i hit what i come across when i have the time.

I play at night to early afternoon so of course most people are offline. I doubt you'd PvP much in response anyway so no big difference.

Tycus
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#6 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Gambit wrote:To be fair, ORP is bugged and you'll find that not every structure get's ORP health;

It's not a matter of raiding you when you log off. it's a matter of raiding people when i find the bases. I don't go out of my way to hit you, i hit what i come across when i have the time.

I play at night to early afternoon so of course most people are offline. I doubt you'd PvP much in response anyway so no big difference.

Lol so why exactly did you reply to this post given that you clearly didn't understand what I said? ORP is bugged so it's the... modifications fault that your tribe repeatedly raids small bases while people are offline? As for your last comment I'm not even sure what you are trying to say there. I state that I want the chance to defend myself in honest PvP, and you state that I wouldn't if I had the chance? Bit of a logical fallacy there mate. You should work for the U.S Government. Thanks for your input.

Tycus
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#7 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm

DattoSSS wrote:Come to the whitelisted server mate, I used to think I liked PvP but in reality as a casual player it was too much of a time waster. The whitelisted server has full structure protection but PvP is allowed between characters and dinos.

The whitelisted server runs brilliantly, has a great community and as it is currently low population there are heaps of places to build. It's also clustered with all 4 maps! The $5 a month is affordable (I pay more than that every day for a coffee) and it guarantees no griefers or exploiters.

I can't recommend it highly enough, it will never wipe so you can take your time and actually get some sleep before you go to work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The white listed server sounds ideal except...I can't see why the same rules that apply to that server can't be applied to the regular PvP servers so you don't have to pay a $5 monthly subscription? I get it, running servers takes time and money, and a small subscription fee is a good way to meet some of those costs, but this approach reeks of freemium service models which I abhor.

"You can play on the pretty good, but less than ideal servers... or pay the subscription fee and play with the server settings you actually want!™"

Not to mention if I want to encourage a friend to join me in playing, it's a much easier sell to say "hey come and try this server out with me!" than try to convince someone to fork out $5 for the privilege.

Finally I believe that base damage is an important part of the game, and PvP. It's not the raiding I object to, it's the raiding while other tribes are offline.

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Post#8 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Tycus wrote:The white listed server sounds ideal except...I can't see why the same rules that apply to that server can't be applied to the regular PvP servers so you don't have to pay a $5 monthly subscription? I get it, running servers takes time and money, and a small subscription fee is a good way to meet some of those costs, but this approach reeks of freemium service models which I abhor.

"You can play on the pretty good, but less than ideal servers... or pay the subscription fee and play with the server settings you actually want!™"

How do you expect a 1 man tribe to play against a tribe with 6 people in it, who can cross to multiple maps, have a plethora of dinos because they have more time on their hands than others? its NEVER going to be fair.

The same rules dont apply because it defeats the purpose of PvP, ability to attack and raid players, the ORP2 allows it so when you are offline its harder to get your resources... but still possible (as its PvP... you take risks) but also encourages PvP when you are online .. because... its PvP...the point is to attack others, learn from your base being raided and design a better one... the whole point of the game is "survival".

You're expecting a lot for a PvP server with a PvE attitude (leave me alone until im big and can fight back), the whitelisted server is minimal cost $5/mo thats cheap and will never cover the costs involved unless i have over 70 people playing, but it helps prevent trolls, and is great for casual players and families... my time and the server costs money, i dont expect many donations.. as its peoples right to play without having to pay, but i also offer PvE which is also free to play, and if you dont have the time, perhaps just move to that server with your friend, there are some others that play on those servers too.

i apoligise if im blunt here, but the purpose of setting up 3 different environments is so people can choose their environment.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Tycus
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#9 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:15 pm

DrunkMunki wrote:
How do you expect a 1 man tribe to play against a tribe with 6 people in it, who can cross to multiple maps, have a plethora of dinos because they have more time on their hands than others? its NEVER going to be fair.

The same rules dont apply because it defeats the purpose of PvP, ability to attack and raid players, the ORP2 allows it so when you are offline its harder to get your resources... but still possible (as its PvP... you take risks) but also encourages PvP when you are online .. because... its PvP...the point is to attack others, learn from your base being raided and design a better one... the whole point of the game is "survival".

You're expecting a lot for a PvP server with a PvE attitude (leave me alone until im big and can fight back), the whitelisted server is minimal cost $5/mo thats cheap and will never cover the costs involved unless i have over 70 people playing, but it helps prevent trolls, and is great for casual players and families... my time and the server costs money, i dont expect many donations.. as its peoples right to play without having to pay, but i also offer PvE which is also free to play, and if you dont have the time, perhaps just move to that server with your friend, there are some others that play on those servers too.

i apoligise if im blunt here, but the purpose of setting up 3 different environments is so people can choose their environment.

Not at all, and I want to make it very clear that I think you are an excellent admin running some excellent servers. However the current approach is not for me, and as you've stated there are other options for my friends and I which we are now engaging in. Thank you for the excellent server management and your friendly approach. I can honestly say you're the best admin i've ever played on the server of.

Regards

Tycus.

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#10 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Tycus wrote:The white listed server sounds ideal except...I can't see why the same rules that apply to that server can't be applied to the regular PvP servers so you don't have to pay a $5 monthly subscription? I get it, running servers takes time and money, and a small subscription fee is a good way to meet some of those costs, but this approach reeks of freemium service models which I abhor.

Not to mention if I want to encourage a friend to join me in playing, it's a much easier sell to say "hey come and try this server out with me!" than try to convince someone to fork out $5 for the privilege.

Finally I believe that base damage is an important part of the game, and PvP. It's not the raiding I object to, it's the raiding while other tribes are offline.

Yep, thats what I said. Works for me.