PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Suggestion: Scrub map to encourage pvp population

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Re: Suggestion: Scrub map to encourage pvp population

Post#31 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

Stick wrote:Maybe start another thread Munki asking whether the existing player base are interested in a wipe?

it shall be done, check out https://www.playark.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 3887#p3887
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Post#32 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Sanity wrote:Heres the thing, Ark currently is at an all time low of players, has fallen to 10th on most played games list (used to sit around tf2 for players) it now sits below things like football manager and warframe, the game is in a bad state its not just this community that has noticed the lack of players.

Said yet true :'(

Arky
Dino Tamer
Tribe: Prehistoric

Post#33 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 am

I dont know if this is helpful or not or if anyone even cares but I guess its only going to cost me the time it takes to type it so heres why I left the pvp server after, well probably a bit less than a month.

I joined the pvp server as my first ARK server, having only played a bit of single player maybe 12 months prior, so basically a complete noob with very little idea. I havent played proper PVP since Lineage 2 years and years ago.
I found a place to set up after 3 failed attempts and got to work. I was helped along with donations from 2 people / tribes, a high level direwolf, high level argi and a very decent Theri later on. Unfortunately I lost the direwolf after glitching out in the swamp but the argy was invaluable to me as a newbie with nothing, it gave me the freedom and ability to harvest resources I otherwise couldnt or would have major trouble getting to. I set up a (i felt at the time) very nice base, slowly expanding and even started breeding my first dinos - mid level carnos but hey it was a start. There was a bit of chat and a bit of banter and I was having fun. Then I logged in one day and found id been hit. Aside from the front door missing and my preserving bin gone and some general damage not much was gone and considering i didnt have much anyway I didnt think twice about it - it is pvp after all. However 2 days later i was hit again and this time they killed all my dinos bar 2. My argy was dead along with the theri, my breeding pair of carnos, even my low level listeros. Everything was set on passive as I had been warned to do. All my supplies were gone, even things like mortar and pestle destroyed. It was just wonton destruction for the sake of it. That did it for me and I turned over to the whitelist servers and couldnt be happier.

I will clarify the following points:
Im not huge on pvp but I understand getting raided and dont normally get salty and complain when it happens, however this just felt like being ground under someones heel and having to basically restart again, less having half a base already built - It sort of felt like a 'this is our server gtfo' type message.
There was a bit of a community feeling but mostly people keeping to themselves. I appreciate the dinos i was given and would have given anything i had or could get to return that favour but of course I didnt get the chance.
Single man tribing it felt isolating. I know everyone has to start out alone, but it seemed like there was little to no chance of ever being taken in and shown the ropes with an established tribe (people laughed at the idea saying being taken into a tribe on a pvp server was never going to happen). In Lineage 2 for instance, new players were generally snapped up quickly to build guild population to make that team stronger. Obviously trouble makers / useless people were booted, but that is an option for any time.

The other big thing i can think of is exposure - getting the server name out there. How can we promote playark to the public. How can we draw in more new players across any of the servers?

TL:DR I got smashed on the pvp server, almost every dino slaughtered (bar 4 maybe?) gear taken, base emptied out while i was probably only level 40ish and still new to the game. I had nothing worth taking but it was taken or destroyed anyway and my halfway decent dinos killed and even my crap dinos wiped out despite being set to passive. Established tribes may consider taking on newbies into their tribe to show them the ropes and help build their tribe at the same time?
ARKY

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#34 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Jim_aus wrote:Single man tribing it felt isolating. I know everyone has to start out alone, but it seemed like there was little to no chance of ever being taken in and shown the ropes with an established tribe (people laughed at the idea saying being taken into a tribe on a pvp server was never going to happen). In Lineage 2 for instance, new players were generally snapped up quickly to build guild population to make that team stronger. Obviously trouble makers / useless people were booted, but that is an option for any time.

As the alpha tribe on the island we were already full as 6 slots is all that you can have in a tribe. However and sadly this is the case but letting randoms into your tribe on ark is a very risky business. Say you suddenly decided you disliked us you could have killed all of our dinos within the space of 20 mins if you were on by yourself. That would be hundreds of hours of breeding gone in the space of minutes. Not too mention hundreds of hours of blueprint farming, resource farming etc.... And then there is the fact that say you do end up being a nice guy which is likely we are still risking good imprinted dinos to a completely new player without knowing whether he is willing to stay on to breed/tame dinos and farm resources or whether he's going to leech off of the other 5 players. For this reason the best way to be chucked into an established tribe is to go hard on a new server building up quick and proving yourself to be a valuable player, do this and you have a good chance of getting an invitation to join an alpha tribe.
I do however see the flaw in this logic as far as you need to prove yourself as a good player but it's hard to become a good player without being taught by good players. My only advice for this would be the play ark reddit forums, the wiki and youtube to learn to play. If you ask questions in global chat people will generally try to be helpful too.