PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Regarding the update schedule

This is where you can discuss anything, doesn’t have to be related to ARK.
Please no Spamming/Advertising or Abuse.
MajorSmashbox
Survivor
Tribe:

Regarding the update schedule

Post#1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Can we please have it switched so that updates get pushed to the server more regularly. Yet again I'm one of 2 tribe members who can actually login to the server for the next hour or 2 because this game autoupdates and it is imposiible to rollback client patches. Switching off autoupdate doesn't fix it either, because it wont launch until you manually update the client. Yes people get inconvenienced by the server going down for 5mins to update frequently and it used to mess up tames (now mostly fixed). On the other hand it locks players out of the game for hours if their client updates, which I will say again is not optional. Your drivers crash and you have to relaunch? well you have to update too.

And then there's what can happen to your character/base/dinos when you are locked out of the server (in some instances for hours) due to a version mismatch.

tl:dr this was a nice idea for the server and served a purpose for a time. It is no longer needed and is a massive inconvenience to a lot of players every time there is a major content update - which happen a fair bit with this game.

light487
Survivor
Tribe:

Re: Regarding the update schedule

Post#2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Is that the reason I can't see the server right now? It's not that it's offline, it's just that my client was auto-updated and is now incompatible with the server?

Stonald
Fresh Spawn
Tribe:

Post#3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

100% agree, I've been locked off the server for several hours and this is extremely annoying. sure 5 mins out of your day wating for a server reboot wont hurt so that the other people can hop on and enjoy the server. Good idea the set restarts, but update restarts are cruical.

MajorSmashbox
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#4 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 pm

light487 wrote:Is that the reason I can't see the server right now? It's not that it's offline, it's just that my client was auto-updated and is now incompatible with the server?

Yes that is the reason. Small patches/hotfixes are compatible with previous versions usually, but major content updates will cause a version mismatch. When that happens the server browser wont show servers still running the older version.

light487
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#5 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Means I won't get to play at all today.. probably kill my dino.

Deadpool811
Survivor
Tribe: Valkyrie

Post#6 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeh got the same thing, we prepping to make the trackers b4 the update and have to wait :( hopefully munki can get an updater or just update as soon as he can :D

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Post#7 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Ahoy!
I provide a schedule so people know when i will update and be prepared, e.g leave ark running on the join screen to prevent an update.
I think its unfair to force a reboot on people who are playing just as a patch is released, it can interrupt some taming or other actions.

Keep in mind i cant keep monitoring the server 24/7 and apply the update as soon as its released...

Feel free to correct me, would love feedback.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

MajorSmashbox
Survivor
Tribe:

Post#8 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:07 am

While I understand why you do this, it is trading a minor inconvenience to all players, for a major inconvenience for some.

DrunkMunki wrote:Ahoy!
e.g leave ark running on the join screen to prevent an update.

While in alpha this game is and will continue to be unstable for some time to come. You can't keep the game open to avoid updating if your video drivers crash when you are playing (Nvidia drivers crash a lot with this game). Or a shootgame.exe citical error, or a Ark has stopped responding, or your kid accidentally hits the reset button on your comp. If any of that happens you aren't gonna be able to log back on. Typically this means your character dies, dino dies, you can't retrieve your gear (or close your base door of you crashed at a really bad time). You are just locked out of the server until it updates - leaving the other players who haven't updated free to do whatever they want to your character/base/dinos.

Most of my tribe have jobs, children and only get a set amount of time to play each day. It also means a lot of them can't keep their client open to avoid updating during the day while they are at work or someone else is using the comp. When they get home they see an update and are forced to download it before they can launch. They have a 2-3 hour window in their day when they can play and they cant play on this server because of version mismatch. 5mins for a server restart is nothing, being locked out of the server for the only 3 hours you have that day to play is bloody annoying. As I type this, I am yet again locked out of the server because it hasn't updated.

When studio wildcard finally change their update system, your schedule will work well. Until then it creates much bigger problems than it solves.

Sproose
Survivor
Tribe: Mamadas

Post#9 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 am

Since http://www.playark.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4 says that there will be no update today at 8am, WHEN will the update be applied?

Im assuming most are locked out after client update...

Deadpool811
Survivor
Tribe: Valkyrie

Post#10 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 am

Locked out 4 dayz