PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Server wipe

Got a question ? or a suggestion about our site or server? post it here :)
Bloodyhell
Survivor
Tribe: Mate

Server wipe

Post#1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:01 pm

I know its been stated that server wipe aint happening until new ssd's.

I would suggest looking at it like any other game, do u ask the die hards to continue to donate until the goal is achieved or do u wipe the server, advertise the wipe, recruit old and new players and then ask for donations when population has a bit more variety.

Most games similar to this peak once a fresh install happens due to a fresh server with more competition.

I enjoy playing on this server thats why I donated however, from a numbers point of view, the more players playing and appreciating the servers, the more player pool you have to ask for donations.

with the above being said - I donate because I enjoy the time I spend in game and I would like to support it, however, many ppl donate for different reasons.

cheers,

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Re: Server wipe

Post#2 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Hey Bloody Hell,
I don't rely on donations to pay for everything, they do help speed everything up and do help alleviate some burdens, and like with the new server, once i got it... donations kinda stopped, credit goes to MarineWolf for donating $1,000... also note i still have to pay $350/mo for the hosting.
at this stage i invest a lot of time into managing these platforms, more players = more resources (my time) and more complaints about lag, which in turn more people leaving....

I understand what you mean, bring fresh players on and they will donate... problem with that is.. most wont.. and i am biding my time until i can afford the drives and then promote to community as i will have the infrastructure in place to expand, will then send an email to the 500 members of this forum and see how it goes, plus on top of the fresh wipe jumpers, and posts on forums/reddit and steam groups.

and at the moment a wipe would be a quick solution but not for the long term, as when i finally get my SSD's there will be people up for a wipe, and others who want to play on (a transfer is trivial except the IP will change, but also plans for different types of servers all rely on moving to the sydney server, which cant happen on the current setup) ... and at this stage I have been doing this for a few years now and 90% of people who join a server do so by the server name in the game browser, not through the forum... so when people see fresh wipe in the name they will join, hang around for a month or two then move on ... then we keep about 20% who stay.

hope you understand my position here.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Bloodyhell wrote:I know its been stated that server wipe aint happening until new ssd's.

I would suggest looking at it like any other game, do u ask the die hards to continue to donate until the goal is achieved or do u wipe the server, advertise the wipe, recruit old and new players and then ask for donations when population has a bit more variety.

Most games similar to this peak once a fresh install happens due to a fresh server with more competition.

I enjoy playing on this server thats why I donated however, from a numbers point of view, the more players playing and appreciating the servers, the more player pool you have to ask for donations.

with the above being said - I donate because I enjoy the time I spend in game and I would like to support it, however, many ppl donate for different reasons.

cheers,

In my case I have invested months into building a decent base and dino fleet since the last wipe so the game is in a position where I can now relax a bit and play it as just a game. As one of the 'die hards' who donate its inexpensive entertainment for me and I really don;t know if I could be bothered re-investing the time and energy to re-level and re-build to the same standard again. I have found over the years I have played Ark that newcomers to the server repeatedly request a wipe because of the pre-established bases and community. I assume they feel a wipe will bring a level playing field, but I can assure that is never the case. In so far as cleaning up the server, Munki is very proactive in demolishing old bases.

So I ask the question, what will a wipe achieve?

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#4 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Truth be told I'm for a wipe, but I'm paitent enough to wait. However Datto brings up a really valid point, often it is new people wanting a wipe, often the same new people that get wiped out after a week or two into a new wipe. One thing I would really love to see after a wipe would be faster taming and breeding multipliers. I've said this a lot but 30 hours for a quetz breed and 60 hours for a giga is ridiculous. I did two gigas solo at the same time on the island 4 months or so ago, getting up every 3 hours for an imprint wasn't fun at all but I wanted to be a big payer so I needed the big dinos. So that was bad enough for me as a uni student off on holidays, I don't see how someone like Datto who has a full time job / wife and kids is supposed to breed anything more than a wolf or ptera unless he wants no imprints in it.
DattoSSS wrote:
In my case I have invested months into building a decent base and dino fleet since the last wipe so the game is in a position where I can now relax a bit and play it as just a game. As one of the 'die hards' who donate its inexpensive entertainment for me and I really don;t know if I could be bothered re-investing the time and energy to re-level and re-build to the same standard again. I have found over the years I have played Ark that newcomers to the server repeatedly request a wipe because of the pre-established bases and community. I assume they feel a wipe will bring a level playing field, but I can assure that is never the case. In so far as cleaning up the server, Munki is very proactive in demolishing old bases.

So I ask the question, what will a wipe achieve?

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor

Post#5 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Truth be told I'm for a wipe, but I'm paitent enough to wait. However Datto brings up a really valid point, often it is new people wanting a wipe, often the same new people that get wiped out after a week or two into a new wipe. One thing I would really love to see after a wipe would be faster taming and breeding multipliers. I've said this a lot but 30 hours for a quetz breed and 60 hours for a giga is ridiculous. I did two gigas solo at the same time on the island 4 months or so ago, getting up every 3 hours for an imprint wasn't fun at all but I wanted to be a big payer so I needed the big dinos. So that was bad enough for me as a uni student off on holidays, I don't see how someone like Datto who has a full time job / wife and kids is supposed to breed anything more than a wolf or ptera unless he wants no imprints in it.

Thanks Rag, I admit though that I am not representative of the majority of the Ark demographic. A lot of that is because the time investment of Ark generally precludes people like me who have a 12 hour a day job and a young family. The flipside of that, is that I also have the greater capacity to donate. So here is the conundrum, those that have the least to benefit from a wipe are the most capable to donate, yet the wipe will be triggered by donations............ :shock:

DrunkMunki
Server Admin
Tribe: Admin

Post#6 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

DattoSSS wrote:So here is the conundrum, those that have the least to benefit from a wipe are the most capable to donate, yet the wipe will be triggered by donations............ :shock:

Wipe will happen, its inevitable (Mr Smith Voice)... either with donations or my personal funds ... I would rather it sooner than later so everyone can get some closure and move on, but it is what it is.
For emergencies such as server going down email: drunkmunki[at]gamingalliance.net

Stick
Veteran
Tribe: Powerpuff Boys

Post#7 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 am

I am also in for a wipe.

As a not so newcomer the reason a wipe is needed ASAP is because The Island is full of high level gear. This was the case in January and im sure there a multiple tribes out there with ASC everything. Once you reach the end of game with all the highest level gear and your gripes have been settled there is nothing else to do. Our tribe has managed to do this twice over on 2 of Munkis servers with a lot of recreational game time in between. All servers are quite stale at the moment with a lot of older players who are just on cruise mode.

I also understand that Munki is waiting for these badass SSD's to ensure he doesnt have to wipe within a small amount of time. In the meantime I am playing other games until the happens.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#8 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm all for a wipe of all servers but before the upgrade it is a waste of time.

Want the wipe faster? Reach into your pocket.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#9 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:59 pm

tbh after this MASSIVE flyer nerf a wipe is sort of needed at this point to maintain balance. All old bases built using metal gathered via quetz is more or loss OP now. As anyone starting now or gathering metal from this point will probably use a much slower method than before and would struggle to get up to the level of quetz farmed bases.

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor

Post#10 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 pm

King_Kiff wrote:tbh after this MASSIVE flyer nerf a wipe is sort of needed at this point to maintain balance. All old bases built using metal gathered via quetz is more or loss OP now. As anyone starting now or gathering metal from this point will probably use a much slower method than before and would struggle to get up to the level of quetz farmed bases.

King_Kiff wrote:Want the wipe faster? Reach into your pocket.

So reach into your pocket...