PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

Where is everyone sitting on the flyer nerf?

Got a question ? or a suggestion about our site or server? post it here :)
Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Where is everyone sitting on the flyer nerf?

Post#1 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

So the general consensus when the flyer nerf came out was to wait and see, we have now waited and seen that obviously the buff wasn't going to be what we thought it was going to be. So I want to see where peoples heads are at before wipe.

Personally I don't want it back how it was but I really feel like the birds do need to be faster, how it is at the moment they are just way too slow. Keep in mind you can't put more than like 1 or 3 c4 on a dino anymore so you don't have to worry about people using fast birds to suicide bases anymore. I would personally like to see us being able to up movement speed but so it only ups it by like 1-1.5% per level which means that you can then have a decently fast bird but it's going to have shit all health and melee.

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Re: Where is everyone sitting on the flyer nerf?

Post#2 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Ragnarok wrote:So the general consensus when the flyer nerf came out was to wait and see, we have now waited and seen that obviously the buff wasn't going to be what we thought it was going to be. So I want to see where peoples heads are at before wipe.

Personally I don't want it back how it was but I really feel like the birds do need to be faster, how it is at the moment they are just way too slow. Keep in mind you can't put more than like 1 or 3 c4 on a dino anymore so you don't have to worry about people using fast birds to suicide bases anymore. I would personally like to see us being able to up movement speed but so it only ups it by like 1-1.5% per level which means that you can then have a decently fast bird but it's going to have shit all health and melee.

I like it the way it is now.

All I am hoping for is that you can in the future improve flyers speed through breeding and random mutation. Maybe that they could only gain speed during the imprinting process. That would make a fast(er) bird very valuable.

DattoSSS
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Solo Player

Post#3 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I'll offer my opinion with the disclaimer that I am not a raider, and I don't look at the nerf with the same frame of reference as most.

When the nerf hit I was looking to take a break from Ark anyway, due to the amount of time I was finding myself spending on the game. The nerf arrived and suddenly everything took so much longer, as I inadvertently had made myself very flyer dependant. It was the catalyst that made me throw the keys to the base to El Jefe and take a month off.

Now I am back, playing the game in more modest terms, and I don't really have that great an issue with the nerf. The weight reduction aspect of the post nerf buffs allows me to do greater metal runs than ever before, I don't need a specially designed ankylo platform, and stamina stat on the Quetz allows me to do 20k metal runs in one flight. It's a slower flight, but greater efficiency due to the Ankylo weight reduction and being able to carry the ankylo in the flyers claws.

I am also mindful of the fact that we used to catch Quetzes with Quetzes - there is going to be a marked reduction in Quetz ownership post-wipe for some time which will have a trickle effect on base sizes and raids.

I fully understand the disappointment of the raiders in the changes that were made, and I agree with both Rag and Kiff in that the birds could be faster, but make you work for it through imprinting or even better, random mutation.

In a game that was originally designed for PvP (PvE was added as an after thought) the majority of pre-release changes seem to greatly affect the PvP population. I can recall on officials when flyers first came in that if you ruled the skies you ruled the server. Makes you wonder where Tek is going to lead to in PvP imbalance...
Last edited by DattoSSS on Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milhouse
Dino Master
Tribe: Floogals

Post#4 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Its easy enough to deal with on the island map but on the center is a different story. There has been a massive drop on population on that server and was my reason why i moved from there to the island.

El_Jefe
Dino Tamer
Tribe: CNA

Post#5 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:15 am

I have genuinely considered messing around with the dev kit to build a mod where it was possible to add only the imprint bonus back to flyers in order to make the high lvl end game quetzes and pteras fun to use once again, possibly at the cost of a health reduction. Since the nerf I have barely even touched the 15-20 quetzes I had, and in fact have given away more than 7 of them to various players.

The part I find funny about the whole nerf is that while pteras and quetzes could be stupidly fast (I miss my 750% quetz and 670% ptera), I have in fact bred 2 other land dino species that have been able to render into peoples bases before walls because of their extreme speed stats. I have also got a bronto with almost 450% speed and it still managed to get over 80k hp. While I have grudgingly accepted the hard hitting nerf and I do not necessarily want the game to return to where it was I feel some form of speed improvement should be in the game to provide players an incentive for taming and breeding high level flyers again.