PlayARK Australia has moved to GamingAlliance.Net,
GamingAlliance.Net covers a larger number of games.
This forum is now locked for historical purpose/reference.
Please visit GamingAlliance.Net or join their discord at https://discord.gg/asFpJ7A

How to build a defensive base tips

Have you come across something that might interest others? or sick of people asking the same questions, post it here for others to find.
Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

How to build a defensive base tips

Post#1 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 pm

So first of all this is my opinion of how to make a defensive base, you can disagree with me if you wish, there are many ways to play ark, this is just the way I/we play.

So this is going to try to keep S+ and ORP2 in mind since those are both going to be on the pvp cluster this wipe.

First thing that you need is a good base spot, with the implementation of S+ it no longer needs to be too flat as you can stack foundations on top of each other in a way you could never do with vanilla ark buildings. Now think back to all the ancient castles and things you have seen most of them will always be near a cliff or on top of a hill. The same applies in ark, the higher you are the better off you are especially with ORP2 since there won't be many offline attacks anymore so if you can snipe people from up high then you already have a massive advantage. With the flyer nerf as well quetzs and pteras are now far too slow to try to pick you if you are around turrets. This basically means that any fighting will have to be ground based so people will have to walk dinos up hills. While it's bad to build on non hilly land the worst place you can build imo is right next to a river or right next to the ocean. Rafts can be used to get really close to your base if it's on the water enabling the raider to shoot off rockets or whatever in safety from turrets. It also means people can take turret rafts right up to your base giving them a lot of protection.

Building the base
So I'm not personally a huge fan of double or triple layering walls since I believe that if they can all ready get close enough to blow one wall they can get close enough to blow 10 and with the way Munkis servers are set up resources are cheap. Instead put the extra resources into more bullets and more turrets.

So Ideally build in stone and then go to metal as fast as possible, you want to have some idea of what your design is going to be like before you start building. This is a personal preference but I don't believe it's a good idea to incorporate behemoth or regular dino gates into your building. With the behemoth gate in particular it's a huge space that can't be optimized for turrets if you live on flat ground in particular someone can walk up to the gate on a turtle, place some c4 while still sitting on the turtle then blow it, they are also incredibly weak a few lucky rockets will get rid of the gate whereas it takes more than a few lucky rockets to break a single metal wall. They then have a massive hole in your base that you can either walk another turtle inside or run a fast giga or rex inside your base. If you just keep regular doors they have to blow a far bigger hole in your base to even get a turtle into your base.

When designing a base keep all buildings such as breeding room a decent distance away from your base, if you have multiple buildings close to your main base raiders can bunny hop from building to building before they get close enough to just launch rockets at your main base without them being shot by turrets because you're too close to it for turrets to stop them. I raided a base that had a long fence that we could run behind outside of turret range, run along the fence under cover, blow a hole in the fence then blow into the building right beside the fence which then gave us the perfect spot to launch rockets from to destroy the turret tower blocking our way off to the side then we blew into the house. The fence and building beside it basically made our raid a far easier time because it got us to within 10 paces or so of the base which with good Armour would enable us to run right up to it without dying. So if a building doesn't have a defensive purpose get rid of it to a different place atleast out of turret range of your base.

Turrets are going to be your best defensive weapon, don't waste time taming stupid dinos that you think you will use in protecting your base, either breed gigas or rexs or spend all your time farming up new turrets and bullets. Personally I find it's good to farm resources you need in bulk, say you want to make 200 turrets over the space of the week, instead of doing a pearl run everyday devote a few hours to it and gather all 42000 you will need over a couple of hours. Same with organic poly for the turrets breed a pelagornis, chuck it on the back of a quetz ith decent weight and go and collect every penguin on the map in one go instead of filling up the pelagornis with 1k of poly and flying home go out and fill up a quetz with 6k before going home.

The way ark works at the moment is basically the more condensed your turrets are the better off you are, so don't just chuck a few turrets on the edges of your roof have them all over the walls, the ground infront, the roof etc..
Take this previous base of mine and chuckys for instance. (this was before S+ and the turret gun)
At the time this was a very well defended base, it was on top of one of the best hills in ark, has quite a few turrets and had quite a few armored species x. However if you look at it there's a lot of free space still, if chucky and I were going to do this base again with the advent of the turret gun and the grapple hook, every wall would have a turret on it since they are so easy to place with grappling hooks and easy to load and set the settings with the turret gun. The vast majority of your turrets should imo be set on long range, no warning and set on players only, it's good to have a few on tamed dinos and players still on high.
Now again this is personal preference but I prefer to have a lot of turrets around the outside of the base not the inside as unless you have a massive big warehouse of a base it's easy to hide around corners from internal turrets and just launch a rocket at them and they don't have enough range to destroy it in time.

Turrets if you have enough of them are excellent at slowing people down how ever turrets plus armored species x is a wining combination as the species x blinds raiders on dinos while slowing them down at the same time enabling the turrets to have a longer time to stop them before they reach your base. Species x by its self is pretty much useless however you need turrets to back it up. To make armored species watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuzaM557i4

Most of the bullet soaking on your base assuming it's well set up will likely be by turtles. Now with a decent saddle and mate boost they won't take much damage from turrets if they are shot on their side this is where turret towers come in handy, they give your base an extra protective perimeter. This means that someone either has to take out two or three turret towers around your base to get to your main base or they will have to raid your main base while getting shot by the turret towers. So now raiders are likely getting shot by at least 2 or 3 different directions. This is good for you as many of those hits are now likely hitting the head of the turtle which will make its health drop far faster than when it gets shot in the side. These turret towers will slow them down giving you more time to mount your defensive attack. A turret tower that chucky designed that can only be made with S+ that we used on our latest base looks like this. It's made by making a circle with 6 triangle foundations then extending that circle another layer of triangle foundations wide making effectively a large hexagon. The advantage of this over square turret towers is that you are getting shot by at least 4 rows of turrets from the hexagon no matter what way you are facing. You should also have a few generators going up the turret tower so that if the bottom generator is blown up the guns that are left on the tower will continue to shoot until the other generators are destroyed.

When it comes to crafting the resources for all the turrets and ammo you will need make sure you have multiple fabricators and chem benches up if you can afford them that way you can make 4 times the amount of bullets or electronics in the same time.

The final points I will say is due to the servers getting orp2 you now have a genuine chance of defending your base, there are no more suicide bombers since you cant put more than 1 c4 on dinos anymore which means raiding bigger more defended bases has now gone back to more of a slow paced raid. You can defend against this if you have enough good apex dinos at your base and have a large cache of c4, rockets, guns, Armour and ammo inside your base which a heap of bunk beds for you to respawn to. If you think you can take the fight to your raiders try and do that otherwise stay in your house sniping them when they are on turtles and other dinos, If they ride gigas up try and get two people to fire a rocket at it at the same time, if you both hit the giga will enrage hopefully killing its rider and potentially killing some of the raiders dinos if the giga is near some.

One last point I would like to add is that use S+ as much as you possibly can, I raided a base with D3po recently that while they were newish on the server they had an impressive set up but they had used regular generators which still made a tonne of noise. We then managed to find all of the generators with ease and blow them up, had they been S+ ones which make no noise it would have been far harder.

Builder
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: Builders/The Datcave

Re: How to build a defensive base tips

Post#2 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Not sure how entertaining this video will be, but here is a video of dear Ragnar's base before the wipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bvqMT0 ... U1&index=1

King_Kiff
Ultimate Survivor
Tribe: All Aussie Adventures

Post#3 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Your base was impressive, so much so after it's completion the effort required to get in negated ever trying.

Can you tell us how many people built it and what sort of hours it took between the lot. No small amount of effort that's for sure.

Ragnarok
Veteran
Tribe: Gypsy Vikings

Post#4 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:01 am

King_Kiff wrote:
Can you tell us how many people built it and what sort of hours it took between the lot. No small amount of effort that's for sure.
It took two people to build it just me and Chucky. Dunno about hours but honestly if two people are going hard at it it doesn't actually take that long if you are doing things efficiently. Big thing for me I think is having say 3 indust forges, heaps of fabbys and smithys and enough acitinas that you will never run out of cementing paste. The big time waster on ark on ark is waiting for things to craft or smelt so do a massive metal run before you go to bed and leave that to smelt overnight etc...